Full Contact Trivia and OutfieldFlyRule.com present the 2nd Annual FCT Mid-Summer Classic, a baseball trivia game intended to test your knowledge, memory, and recall of America’s pastime. Teams from all over the metro Atlanta area will flock to Grayson, GA to compete for hundreds of dollars in cash and prizes. The show will consist of 20 questions covering various categories in baseball knowledge that have been meticulously researched and vetted for their accuracy and difficulty. Cash and prizes will be awarded to the top finishing teams, and delicious pitchers of machine-crafted American goodness will be awarded randomly to participating teams. Individual players may also be enshrined into the Ancient and Mysterious Order of the Tassel, reserved for only the MVPs of FCT tournament level shows.
WHEN: July 18, 2015 – 8:30 PM
WHERE: The Hail Mary Sports Pub
Teams can consist of any number of players, although we have found 3-6 per team the most manageable. The entry fee is $30 per team, and all entry fees will be recycled in the form of prizes. The event will be taking place on July 18th, 2015. First pitch is at 8:30 PM. The festivities will be held at the Hail Mary Pub in Grayson, GA. While advance registration is not necessary, it is encouraged so that the venue can plan accordingly. Prizes are expected to be in the hundreds of dollars (depending on turnout).
Full Contact Trivia is arguably most popular pub trivia company in the Metro Atlanta and Athens area. FCT was recently awarded “Best Trivia” by the readers of the Athens Banner-Herald for their show at The Blind Pig in Athens, GA. In addition, FCT has won best trivia accolades from the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Flagpole Magazine, Creative Loafing, the Athens Banner-Herald, and others. The “Triviaheads”, as their followers are called, have won numerous other trivia tournaments, including taking First, Second, and Third place at this year’s Trivia Super Bowl held by sports-talk radio station 960 The Ref.
FCT also hosts the following tournaments every year:
- The Trivia Bowl – A football-only themed show held the week of the Super Bowl;
- The Etta James Memorial – Music trivia, featuring nearly any music question you can think of;
- Night At The Movies – Trivia about movies, performers, and the Academy Awards;
- March Trivia Madness – A 10-week long cumulative tourney that rewards endurance, perseverance, and dedication, this is the largest and grandest of the tourneys;
- The Pairs Game – A general trivia show featuring teams consisting of two people only;
- World Cup of Trivia – A trivia elimination tourney modeled after the World Cup (returns this fall).
FCT questions are not for the faint of heart, but the trivia experience is better than any other you will encounter. If you have what it takes to challenge OFR’s own Brent Blackwell or Chris Jervis, or any of the other Triviaheads…come on down to Hail Mary with your friends. Even the last place team wins something. If you want to get a feel for an FCT experience before the tournament, a list of shows can be found here.
A recap of last year’s questions:
1) LLWS — Considering individual US states as separate countries, what country has won the most the most Little League World Series titles?
2) Hometowns — What 2 countries have provided the most foreign born MLB players?
3) Negro Leagues — Legendary catcher Josh Gibson played for which two Negro League teams in his career?
4) Awards — Who won more MVP Awards: Lou Gehrig or Babe Ruth (Note: this is the MVP as awarded by the BBWAA)?
5) Records –Who are the 5 players to have hit 4 Home Runs in a game since 1990?
6) Baseball Entertainment — What number did former Braves’ reliever Kenny Powers wear on East Bound and Down?
7) Franchises — What current team previously played as the St. Louis Browns prior to their 1953 relocation?
8) Awards — What position player holds the record for the most career Gold Gloves, with 14?
9) Trades — Name the player missing in this trade: Randy Johnson went from Team A to Team B for Carlos Guillen, John Halama, and who?
10) Standings — During the Braves’ 14 consecutive division titles, which team finished 2nd the most?
11) Feats — Who was the first player not named Babe Ruth to hit 50 home runs in a season?
12) Records — Two second basemen have tied for the single season record in HRs as a 2B. Name them.
13) Rookies — Within 1 year either way, how old was Satchel Paige in his rookie season?
14) Retired Jerseys — In 1972, the New York Yankees the same number for 2 different players. What was the number? As a bonus, who were the players?
15) College Baseball — Given these players, tell me where they went to college.
A) Tim Lincecum
B) Matt Harvey
C) Jared Weaver
D) Justin Verlander
E) Chase Utley
F) Dutin Pedroia
G) Johnathan Papelbon
H) R. A. Dickey
16) Minor Leagues — There are two AAA leagues. Name them.
17) Feats — Who was the first player to make $1 Million per season?
18) Records — Who replaced Cal Ripken, Jr. to end his record consecutive games streak?
19) Awards — How many Cy Young Winners were also MVP winners in the same season?
20) Players — Which player, who had only 51 career home runs, recorded the final out of the 1975 World Series?